5 STEPS TO TAKE AFTER A SLIP, TRIP, AND FALL ACCIDENT:
1. Seek Medical Treatment. Your health—or the health of a loved one—should be your number-one priority following a slip, trip, and fall accident. If you've been hurt, it's important to see a doctor so that your injuries can be properly documented. Those medical records will be important pieces of evidence should you decide to seek compensation for your injuries.
2. Report the Accident. No matter where the slip, trip, and fall accident happens—in a store, on a sidewalk, or at a friend's house—make sure you report it to a manager, owner or landlord. Remember to get the details of the incident in writing—ask the manager, owner or landlord to make a written report, and request a copy before you leave.
3. Document Everything. It's important to collect the names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses for all potential witnesses. Their statements could help prove your claim if you decide to pursue a legal claim. Also, remember to take pictures of the EXACT location where you fell and make sure to photograph any stairs, icy patches, or other conditions that contributed to your accident. Jot down what you were doing right before the accident, the way you fell, and any other details, including the exact time and date. Also: Place the shoes and clothing you were wearing during the accident in a safe storage place. They may be relevant pieces of evidence later.
4. Decline to Give Statements. Remain calm and limit your communication with the property owner or manager. Do not post any details related to your accident on social media. Decline to give a statement to an insurance company until you've spoken to an attorney. Do not place blame—and don't take any.
5. Call an Attorney. When considering legal action, the best person on your side is an experienced attorney. Since many slip, trip, and fall cases are complex and difficult to prove, you are best served by the resources of a successful law firm. We have the experience, knowledge, and track record of success to recover the money you deserve.